Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gravity

Well, it has been a long, long time since I have wrote anything. Better late than never, right?
There has been a lot of things that I have been processing since I have gotten back from Cambodia, but right I want to talk about the reality of living overseas as a missionary.
From quite young (I think 12?) I thought that I would probably be involved in missions. This wasn't fully realized though until I was 18, when I went to Turkey for the general assembly for C&M Alliance. The first time I went travelling, I was hooked. I loved seeing new places, new people and experiencing life in a different place. Looking back, I can see this even in when we went camping every summer.  I always wanted to explore.
So, after I finished Kaleo, I went into the TESOL program because I knew that is how I wanted to approach going overseas. Things changed, I went into Intercultural Studies instead....and then I decided to do TESOL also three years later. I loved the courses I took for Intercultural Studies. Still honestly, one of my favourite courses was Cultural Anthropology. I loved the nations, cultures, and languages! Looking back though, I romanticized the missionary life. There is definitely a beauty of abandoning the familiar, living in a different culture and learning to adapt. It is gruelling work and not for the faint of heart. Working along the nationals to bring glory to God and witnessing through how we lived our lives among them. I romanticized it though, and in many ways even though I knew many of the realities, I brushed them off. One of these was being separated from family. I knew this was a reality, but I thought I could handle it. Things changed though.
Before I go any further, I would like to state that I am not against missions or going into missions. At this point, I still see myself going overseas, I am just seeing starting to see the whole picture now for the first time.
When I went to Cambodia I came to realize the reality. The reality of my own sin,  but also I saw a glimpse of the reality of serving Christ in this context.
I always thought that it would be easy to leave the comfort of my family and home, well, at least when I was younger. But honestly, I found it hard. I am not a homebody by any means but it is hard to be so far from your family. You are living in a separate world. I missed my family.
I also came to realize what I leaned on when times became tough. Sadly, I hate to admit, for the most part it wasn't Christ. Missions definitely has a way of refining and shaping you, revealing your sinful nature. I learned that I depended heavily on materialism. Also, for the first time in my life I struggled with my body image. I found it hard being around women who are much smaller than I was and having people commenting on my 'bigness'. Where was my value? Was I putting it in outer appearances?
Honestly, I failed numerous times. But the amazing thing is that God is so faithful. No matter how many times I messed up on my internship, he proved so faithful. His grace was overwhelming. In many different ways he worked in my life. He also revealed to me my passion for cross-cultural ministry, for children, and for teaching.
 I still have that heart for cross-cultural ministry. God revealed some things for me during my time in Cambodia, things that need refining in my life. It has made me realize now more than ever just how much I need Christ. I cannot do it alone.
So even though I failed this last time and I realized just how hard it was, I don't want to quite. I know that living a life for Christ is not meant to be easy. It is not about comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment