
Ahoy!
Well this week was based on an adventure at sea. The Kaleo crew sailed with a group called SALTS on the Pacific Grace for 5 days. You may wonder how big this vessel must have been to be able to fit the whole Kaleo crew plus the SALTS crew (which numbered 5 people), well this Pacific Grace was 115' in length and.. really tall. I learned a few crazy and awesome knots, and also where the stern is and the bow, and which side is port and which is starboard, but also some more crazy terms like broad reach, booms, or binnacle. We slept and ate down below along with the galley (kitchen) and two heads (bathrooms). It was such close quarters to everyone but I loved every minute of it -other than when I was tired... or had a headache. We also had to do night watch with one other person during the night... obviously, haha.
It was great time to just chat one on one with people and get to know them better. I found that this trip was really a time for us as Kaleo to grow closer and get to know each other better, and I can say now I consider everyone my friend, not just an acquaintance anymore. I really love the community of Kaleo too, it is so open, trustworthy, and non-judgemental where we can share our lives and ideas with one another.
As for thanksgiving, I spent it with the few people -I think around 8- who didn't go home for thanksgiving. They are now my adopted family while I am on the Island, actually the whole Kaleo and Qwanoes staff is. But we went to Duncan last night for supper and had a few thrift store and deer-hitting accident adventures along the way. Also this Sunday I went for the first time to Kidstown that is a program run by New Life and is on Boys Row on a reserve in Duncan. I totally loved the children, they are so excited to play with you and just chill. In some aspects the children and the environment reminded me of Mexico, which for the most part is not good. I had never experienced the reserves like that before, but it doesn't seem right that people should be living like that in a nation like Canada. I really hope I can go every Sunday and get to know this kids. One of the leaders of the group said something along the lines that in our Kaleo classes when our profs talk about the kingdom of God, well we had just witnessed, right on that piece of cement on Boys Row.
Oh! And did I mention that I am a junior sailor? No big deal or anything, (I'll be using that on my resume from now on). Haha.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment