Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chapter 2: We are Responders

Well hello once again!
It has been another crazy and full week here at Kaleo, and definitely a spiritual and emotional roller coaster.
This week was my first college class! Our professor was Cal Macfarlane, and he taught us our Spiritual Formation class. Anyways, this course changed how I look at my spiritual walk. I will be completely honest, I thought I was doing pretty good in my faith, but this week has definitely opened my eyes, and really has taught me humility which is something I have been asking God to teach me. I realized that I was missing out on some very fundamentals parts to my faith like softness of heart, and gratitude to God. Also strangely I was able to work on embracing suffering and knowing that I am not abandoned during hard times. Just the beginning of this week I was told by my grandma and my mom(via telephone conversation) that my grandpa had a tumor. This is/was a devastating blow, it was one of my greatest fears come true. But strangely, even though I am incredibly sad I had this strange peace over me which can only be from God.
Something else we did with our Spiritual Formation was a day or solitude and fasting. It was a time for us just to spend time with God; no distractions. For me, it was a time of relaxation and refreshment. I spent most of the day under a tree that was by the docks. At points I became frustrated with myself because I would lose concentration and think of other things. It was probably right after during one of these time I cleared my mind and started praying. I decided to try out Psalms but as I was flipping my way through, the word clay popped up- clay was something that Cal had used pretty often as an analogy. So out of curiousity, I stopped. I read the verse but it seemed incomplete to me, so I decided to read the whole chapter. It was Job 38. It spoke so strongly to me. It is hard to put in words the emotions that I felt when I read it but they were something along the lines of awe, humility, joy, etc. During the solitude time I was also able to think over my grandpa situation, and really just put it into God's hand, and really feel the peace of God.
Alright, so one last thing. Qwanoes does a road tour to connect with campers from the summer and just to invite other kids to hang out. On Saturday night most of the Kaleoites went to it, along with myself. It was actually pretty sweet, and it was a glimpse to see what the summers look like at Camp Qwanoes. It made me think a little bit about LBC back at home, and the kids there that I worked with through the summer.
Adios amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment