Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chapter 6: Books to the Ceiling

Well another week has passed here at Kaleo, with new experiences. This week we had Don Taylor come to teach us Old Testament Literature. I really enjoyed it to be brutally honest; I am a history geek. Even though I had read all these stories before I was definitely seeing it in a new light, and how many times God's grace is evident throughout the Old Testament, which was something I had definitely missed before.
This week we had an evening chapel sort of a majig. It was based on confession. So many people shared what they had to confess, and it was really enlightening and in some ways heartwarming. After that chapel and throughout this week I have been questioning myself because so far I feel like I have barely been challenged or felt uncomfortable, and I was starting to really question myself. I came to Kaleo to be challenged, and so far I feel like I haven't. I feel like I don't have big problems compared to some, and I feel like something is wrong with me for that... well of course there is something wrong with me, I am only human. It seems I have heard so many people say that at some point they wanted to go home or leave, and I'll be honest, I am loving it here and haven't had any thought of leaving. I remembered at one point Jim told us that we really shouldn't have expectations for the year, and I am starting to see that. I was talking with some friends, and I realized maybe this year isn't meant to be a life-changing, radical, and challenging year for me filled with exponential spiritual growth. I might be here just to be in a more supporting role, learning, and growing gradually spiritually. Plus, I might be just impatient, maybe and probably God will challenge me in time. We'll have to see how the year unfolds.
As I write this I'll be honest, I am having a rough time. I feel like I am caught up in responsibility, I know what I am doing is right but I feel alone in my decisions a lot, and missing out sometimes. Also, I am really confused by friendship, I have made really great friends, don't get me wrong on that, but I feel like I haven't really connected strongly with any of the girls here yet that I can always share what is on my mind without some strain on it and just always be able to have meaningful and deep conversations with them or just be completely fun and crazy with no inhibitions. I think this reading break is really needed for me, but I feel like there is not enough time, it is already Sunday, and Thursday we all come back together again and Tuesday we are helping with S.A.L.T.S.
On another note, I went to Salts spring Island yesterday! A few of us walked down to the ferry terminal in Crofton, took the ferry and then made our way to Ganges which is on the other side of the island. There was a little bit of a fair going on there, and we had a really delicious meal which is a nice change. Then we took a bus back to the ferry at Vesuvius. I really loved Salts Spring, so artsy and such! I bought a lot of soap... lol.
Lastly, our mission trip options have been revealed: Garwhal, India; East Vancouver + Duncan; or Argentina. I would ask that you would pray that I would be able to discern God's voice in making this decision, and put time into thinking about this. We have to make our decision by the end of the week. Thanks a bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment