Monday, November 15, 2010

Chapter 8: Grace Melts Ungrace


Well hello once again!
So this week we did our Hermeneutics class with Merrill Dyck. I wasn't too excited going into the course, I am more of a humanities type of person, but it was really good. I learned so much, and it is hard to explain it, but it definitely challenged me to delve more deeply into the Bible and see what every word, verse, chapter and book is trying to communicate to the intended reader but also, me. On Wednesday night... I think it was Wednesday, we went to the Chemainus theatre for a Christmas Carol, for such a small theatre, it was really good!
Again, I worked this weekend at Qwanoes for a full weekend but in the dish pit. I think there was 160 campers and over 20 staff... but don't know how many; it was the Sr. High Retreat. It wasn't really a full weekend for me though, which I feel a little bad about. I got sick and had a fever on Thursday night, right before the retreat started. So I phoned Mel -the awesome gal who organizes the staff and such- and told her my situation. She told me they were short on staff so I had to work but try to give me some rest. I only had to work lunch on Saturday and on Sunday for breakfast and lunch. I was so blessed! Even though, it was hard work for me, but thankfully my fever broke mostly by Saturday. I was really exhausted by the end, but it actually was still a weekend full of lessons. It gave me a new appreciation for the dishwasher here at Qwanoes and even back at LBC. There is so much work to do! I didn't mind working the dish pit though, I am starting to realize here that I really like serving others, and doing dishes is one of them!
So lastly I will talk a little about a lesson in grace and forgiveness I learned just last night. Last night I was talking with two of my friends and they had a different view point on the subject than I did. But I felt like through the whole conversation that I was being completely bashed, and I came walking away from that conversation feeling completely miserable -and crying to my roommates, haha. This wasn't the first time this had happened with my one friend, and I'll be frank, I was so fed up with it already. I was telling myself that I would not talk to that person again, and avoid having conversations with them, but then the words forgiveness and grace came to mind. Grace and forgiveness come hand in hand, I was reading that from a chapter in Yancey's book What's So Amazing About Grace? I came back to reality. Strange as it was for me, I forgave that person right there and then, and shrugged it off. The best part is, the story doesn't end there! My friend was pointed out on what happened by someone else, and today they wrote me a 'cute note' apologizing and wanting to talk about it. We talked about everything and both of our feelings, and I would like to say, the whole thing is rather resolved. :) And Jim with his rock tumbler analogy, -about us clashing together to make us 'smooth stones'- was right once again!
Also this week is our 24/7 week of prayer, so there will always be someone praying in our prayer room that was created for the week. I am excited but also nervous, and if you have any prayer requests just text, e-mail, call or facebook me. I would gladly pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment