Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chapter 18: What's In a Name



Bonjour mes amis! (I hope I spelled that right)
Well this week we went to.... Mount Washington! Our big out trip with all of Kaleo for this semester. We arrived monday morning and left friday afternoon. We stayed in a really quaint chalet on the side of the hill, one side being the boys, and one side being the girls. We spent four days skiing/snowboarding and one snowshoeing/cross-country skiing. On Wednesday evening we also went tubing. It was my second time snowboarding (last time was 2 years ago), so that was interesting but there was a bunch of other beginners with me so it was all good. By Friday I was starting to carve so I am happy, and I really do love it, and I am pretty positive more than I liked skiing. In the evenings we had chapel. Something we started doing in chapel was giving Kaleo names. Now you may be wondering what those are because I had no idea until a month into Kaleo what they were. Kaleo names are names given by the whole of us to each other like God gave to Jacob or Jesus did to Peter. These names are something that we see each other and hope us to grow into. That means this names don't fit us now but we will grow into them through the work of God in our life, These names are our hopes for each others, our hopes that will help us grow into more of the character of God. Some of the names given so far have been Advocate, Diamond, Compassion, Lighthouse, Integrity, Surrender and Scribe. I did not receive my Kaleo name yet, and I am not one bit upset about it. I am excited to get my name, but when it happens, it happens, it is not a big deal of timing for me. Plus, I think the people who have already received them needed to receive them first.
From Mount Washington you could see the snowy peaks of Mount Albert-Edward (where we did our hiking trip at the beginning of the year), it is a reminder of how far we as a group and individually have come. I do remember the hiking trip rather clearly still, quite the experience and very fun, and in some ways it seems so long ago!
Something else that was so cool was the impact a believer can have in a short time period with others. My intern here did something that would fall under the title of 'snowboard ministry' and I thought that it was completely lame. I kept thinking that this snowboard ministry was just an excuse for them to always be snowboarding, but I am seeing it differently now. After interactions with liftees, snowboard instructors and just people on the chair I see that there is a huge opportunity to do ministry... on a ski hill! That same intern I was talking about before told a story from his week which I thought was really sweet. Apparently over the years he had gotten to know one of the liftees who works at Mount Washington, and this intern (Tyler) has gotten to know what is going on in his life also. Tyler even calls him by his first name... crazy! lol, jk. But apparently while Tyler was in line and talking to him this man said something along the lines, "you are part of that religious group aren't you?" I think Tyler said that the man noticed that our attitudes and how we interacted with people were different from other people there. Even though I am not fond of the name 'religious group' it is so encouraging to know that people can tell that we are different, that we are 'not of this world'. Also apparently this liftee was able to pick us out on the ski hill, so cool! Well that is my little story for this week.
I guess I should talk of last week and how the whole youth event thing went along. To be honest, I had a breakdown and then everything went really well after that. I just really need to depend on God more.
Well I kind of forgot that I was in college, which sucks. I have a lot of precourse work and other 'fun' stuff I have to do.... yuck. Not looking forward to it.
That is it I guess for now, this coming up weekend we are going to Mission Fest in Vancouver and I am excited for it. Does that make me a geek? Maybe slightly.
I hope your next week goes well and that God reveals himself in new ways to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment